Dr. Smith offers an emerging alternative treatment model for cancer, involving his patients in the most effective and holistic oncologic therapies. The focus is not only on complementary cancer care, but also on the mind, spirit, immune system, inflammatory state, and the general health of the entire body. This approach respects that illness, specifically cancer, is multi-factorial. Diet, nutrition, physical activity, mental-wellbeing and specific natural therapies are recognized as being valid components of a comprehensive, naturopathic approach to optimize health and well being for those struggling with cancer. These complementary therapies do not interfere with conventional approaches such as surgery, chemotherapy and radiation; in fact, those patients who chose to utilize these therapies find that Dr. Smith’s protocols gives them greater vitality and more energy with far fewer side effects. His model can be safely incorporated at any stage of a treatment program. He will work to:
- Serve as an active and knowledgeable participant in your treatment protocols, whether you choose to incorporate conventional therapies or prefer exclusively holistic care.
- Support your therapy with a highly individualized treatment protocol that likely will involve specific diets and nutritional protocols, targeted botanical medicine, homeopathy and when necessary prescription medicine.
- Increase your vitality and sense of well-being
- Educate you on therapies rarely discussed in the conventional treatment, offering you more treatment options
- Empower you with education and thorough, well-documented research to participate in your health care decisions
- Make well-informed decisions regarding conventional and integrative oncology treatment.
- Safely and effectively utilize holistic, natural therapies before, during and after conventional treatment.
- Recommend highly effective, naturopathic protocols to support you before and after surgery.
- Decrease side effects of chemo and radiation therapy and improve effectiveness of therapy.
- Provide natural and rational therapeutic plans and if desired, provide supporting research that you can share with your oncologist.
Integrative Oncology FAQs
Dr. Smith approach to alternative oncology is based on the six core fundamental precepts of naturopathic medicine.
- Recognition of the Healing Power of Nature. Naturopathic medicine recognizes an inherent self-healing process in people that is ordered and intelligent. Naturopathic physicians act to identify and remove obstacles to healing and recovery, and to facilitate and augment this inherent self-healing process.
- Identification and Treatment the Cause of Disease. The naturopathic physician seeks to identify and remove the underlying causes of illness rather than to merely eliminate or suppress symptoms.
- First Do No Harm. Naturopathic physicians utilize methods and medicinal substances which minimize the risk of harmful side effects, using the least force necessary to diagnose, treat and to optimize health.
- Doctor as Teacher.Naturopathic physicians educate their patients and encourage self-responsibility for health.
- Treatment of the Whole Person. Naturopathic physicians treat each patient by taking into account individual physical, mental, emotional, genetic, spiritual, environmental, social, and other factors.
- Prevention. Naturopathic physicians emphasize the prevention of disease by assessing risk factors, heredity and susceptibility to disease, and by making appropriate interventions in partnership with their patients to prevent illness.
Dr. Smith uses these principles to guide him in developing alternative oncology protocols. By following such precepts, he is able to optimize the health of his patients, regardless of whether or not they choose to use chemotherapy and radiation.
When you work with Dr. Smith, you’ll see the unique benefits of his comprehensive knowledge and experience in conventional and integrative approaches. Alternative oncology therapies work powerfully when used together with conventional therapies. Alternative protocols target cancer processes that chemotherapy and radiation do not address. For example, stem cells (believed to be the origin of cancer recurrence) are not destroyed by chemotherapy or radiation, but are killed by some natural therapies. Natural medicines also aid the effectiveness of chemotherapy by increasing a tumor cell’s susceptibility to the chemotherapy, resulting in greater tumor cell die off. Dr. Smith employs modalities that can decrease the risk of tumor cells becoming resistant to chemotherapy drugs. He has access to laboratory services such as those offered thorough Caris Molecular Intelligence Services that can help to define which therapies are most appropriate for your own unique cancer. Finally, natural cancer care can help you stay healthier and reduce much of the suffering associated with cancer treatment.
Examples of Dr. Smith’s therapies he utilizes include individualized diets such as the Budwig protocol and the ketogenic diet, botanical and nutraceutical medicines, intravenous therapies such as IV Vitamin-C, artemesinin (Wormwood) therapy, hyperbaric oxygen therapy and mistletoe (Helixor) therapy. He is also fully educated on conventional chemotherapeutic therapies and can recommend protocols to strengthen your immune system, using alternative therapies that have been scientifically demonstrated to make chemotherapy and radiation more effective.
Dr. Smith’s goal is to empower people, enhance quality of life, and improve survival. The paradigm of cancer in our society is a frightening one, defined by highly toxic therapies and possibly dictated by urgent and disconcerting decisions that leave the patient feeling hopeless. Few oncologists are willing to candidly discuss the value of natural and complementary therapies in the treatment of cancer. Over 75% of cancer patients crave this options but either do not know where to look or are counseled to avoid alternative cancer therapies. Dr. Smith is a primary care physician who has specialized in serving this population of patients. He offers patients hope, vitality, inner strength, improved outcomes and of course, his expertise in the field of integrative oncology.
The majority of cancer patients today embrace complementary therapies alongside conventional treatments during their cancer. However, a common concern among oncologists is the potential for complementary medicine to interfere with conventional therapies such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Clinical care with Dr. Smith includes the use of evidence-based therapies such as botanicals and targeted nutritional supplements. These therapies will have no negative impact on chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or surgery. Rather, these medicines will enhance the efficacy of conventional treatments, support a patient’s own inherent healing ability and help the body cope with the toxicity and side effects associated with conventional therapies. Such a complementary approach to treatment of cancer facilitates the most positive possible outcomes to care.
Dr. Smith’s office visits and many clinically indicated tests are covered by many (but not all) insurance companies.